Reuse is environmentally preferable to recycling, following list offers examples:
- Offer books to your local library, senior center, school libraries, friends, thrift stores, swap shops, and charities.
- Big Hearted Books donate much of what they collect to nursing homes, prison reading programs, local libraries, as well as sell a portion of usable books, and recycle what can't be redistributed.
- Textbooks can be a challenge to reuse because they get outdated. However, Green Textbooks, and Textbook Recycle both specialize in textbook reuse and/or recycling.
- Other book recycling resources include the International Book Project, Books for Africa, First Book, Bridge to Asia, and Better World Books.
- Can be recycled in your recycling container.