The application process is done in person, by computer, with Officer Dean Bruneau. To request an appointment to apply for a License to Carry (LTC), or Firearms ID (FID) card, you must contact Detective Jordahn Witherspoon at 508-764-5420. Please be sure to leave a message on his voicemail if he is unavailable when you call.
Preparing for Your Appointment
- Completed the state LTC / FID Application Form (PDF) and have it along with all supplemental documents ready for the day of your appointment.
- Your photo and fingerprints will be taken at the time of your application.
- You must bring proof of having taken the proper State Certified safety course.
- License fees are due at your application appointment and may be paid via check or money order made payable to the Town of Southbridge. A $25 fee will be assessed for all returned checks.
Required Safety Courses
- To apply for your License to Carry, you must have completed a State Certified safety course. This is not required for renewal.
- To apply for a FID card, you must have completed a Hunter Safety course. It is not required for a renewal.
- You must be 21 years of age to obtain a LTC. Applicants ages 15 to 17 can obtain a FID if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Over 70 years of age - no fee required for all licenses.
- $100 for License to Carry Class A and B, Machine Gun and Firearms ID.
- All permits are good for 6 years and are printed by the State and look similar to a driver's license.
If you move after having been issued a firearms permit, you must notify the licensing authority, Firearms Records Bureau and, if applicable, the new city or town you are living in within 30 days by completing the Change of Address Form (PDF). This form must be printed and submitted.