Recycling is collected by Casella and brought to their Auburn Material Recovery Facility (MRF) where the material is sorted, baled, and shipped to manufacturing facilities or mills for further processing. Give your material new life, recycle!
What happens to recyclables:
- Cardboard is recycled back into cardboard, board games, paper towels, toilet paper rolls, etc.
- Depending on the grade (strength and quality of fibers) of the paper product, it may be recycled back into more paper, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.
- Plastics #1 & #2 (milk jugs, water bottles, etc.) are made back into new bottles and containers as well as items like polar fleece, carpet, etc. Plastics #3-#7 are recycled into plastic lumber, children’s outdoor toys, lawn furniture, etc.
- Glass bottles of any color are typically recycled back into more glass containers, fiberglass, or glass cutlet (broken glass pieces) that can be used as road base or landscaping as a substitute for small rocks. Glass can be recycled to make new glass tiles.
- Steel and aluminum get turned back into cans, bicycles, baseball bats, car parts, rebar, and other construction material.
Visit Earth 911 to learn more about the material.